history 
      farming 
      wine grapes 
      hay 
History


The Secowocomoco -
Lawton Hall Farm is located on the western shore of the Chesapeake Bay & on the eastern shore of the Wicomoco River. During his 1608 exploration of the Cheasapeake Bay, Captain John Smith noted that there were approximately 40 local indian inhabitants in this region (he reffered to them as the Secowocomoco (or Cecomocomoco).
 

 
Colonial Times -
Five miles from here, on March 25, 1634, settlers disembarked from the small sailing ships the Ark and the Dove at St. Clement's Island. In thanksgiving for the safe landing, Jesuit Father Andrew White celebrated mass for the colonists, perhaps for the first time ever in this part of the world.
 


       critters 
       gallery 
       about us 
       weather 
       home 



© 2009 Lawton Hall Farm     -     Bushwood, MD 20618